Thursday, October 11, 2007

    Mom's Simple Cape



This very basic design came about while trying to find a way to keep my mom warm. During my month long visit back home she had been moved to a beautiful new wing at the nursing home. She loves her new room and so do we! It's more like a luxury hotel with the added benefit (for some), of air conditioning. My mom has never really liked air conditioning and is having a little trouble adjusting to it so she is frequently cold. Getting a sweater on her can be quite difficult due not only to the paralysis, but the brace on her arm. Trying to keep a small blanket or shawl wrapped around her is a waste of time because if she moves, it slips away.

So, with my hook in hand, a tape measure and some yarn I sat down with my mom to come up with something that would work for her. First up on the agenda was making it so she could slip it on herself and not have to rely on a nurse or an aide to assist her. I fashioned the neckline so she could fasten the single button and slip it over her head. She has full use of her left arm so she can then adjust it into place.

The length was a major consideration. It couldn't be to long or it would be difficult for her to adjust the back while seated in her wheelchair and to short wouldn’t give her the warmth she needs. Making it to long would also add to much bulk, likely making it uncomfortable on her back. The solution was to take it as far as her waist line in the back with a little extra length in the front so she can wrap it across her if she chooses or cover the lower part of her arms if she wants to.

The final result, while not fancy, is the perfect solution. I used a shell stitch and sc for the neckline. My yarn of choice; 8 balls of Filatura Lanarota’s Luxor D.K., 50% cotton, 50% acrylic. I have another cape in progress using the same basic shape with a different stitch pattern. I plan to make enough of them so she’ll always have one handy if she catches a chill.

No comments: